Reaching Toward Proficiency
Reaching Toward Proficiency: Motivational Interviewing and Behavior Change
1.2 CEUs | 12 CHES CECHs | 12 MCHES CECHs
Through this unique experience, you will come to understand the theory behind Motivational Interviewing (MI), including the how and why of lifestyle or behavioral changes. MI focuses on enhancing internal motivation for change. Participants will become involved in discussion opportunities, viewing videos, and participating in interactive exercises, coupled with practicing the course content.
Those Who Should Participate: This special workshop is for health and human service professionals and students who wish to assist others in developing their healthy lifestyle activities.
Thursday, April 4 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Explore and discuss the benefits of learning MI
- Become acquainted with relevant evidence of MI effectiveness in many practice settings
- Explain the four processes in motivational interviewing
- Apply the spirit of motivational interviewing to patient interactions
- Observe and practice fundamental skills; active listening and reflections.
Friday, April 5 | 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Observe and practice all of the fundamental skills: Active listening, reflections, open-ended questions, affirmations and summaries.
- Explain the differences between preparatory change talk and commitment language
- Practice responding to change talk and sustain talk
- Create an individual learning plan to move toward MI proficiency