Suicide Prevention Summit
|Location:||La Crosse Center, South Hall, 300 Harborview Plaza, La Crosse, Wis.
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Continuing Education,University RSS (Upcoming Events on homepage)
|Organization/Department:||UWL Continuing Ed
Summit Purpose and Audience:
To increase our understanding of suicide, its prevalence and the risk factors for specific populations, and acquire tools for prevention, assessment and intervention.
- Social workers and counselors
- School guidance counselors
- Clergy and pastoral care
- Law enforcement officials
- Medical assistants
- Youth leaders
- Student service personnel
- Interested/affected community members
The Suicide Prevention Summit features
- Morton M. Silverman, M.D., Senior Medical Advisor, The Jed Foundation
- Sally Spencer-Thomas, Psy. D., Executive Director, Carson J. Spencer Foundation
The QPR prevention tools will be taught throughout the Summit, www.qprinstitute.com
Workshop topics include
• Question • Persuade • Refer
- The Opportunities and Challenges of Suicide Prevention - Morton M. Silverman, M.D.
- QPR – Question, Persuade, Refer: Suicide Prevention Training - Christine Hughs, LCSW
- How Chronic Pain can Lead to Hopelessness - Lisa Howell, Ph. D.
- Returning Combat Soldiers - Norb Laufenberg MSSW, ACSW, LICSW, LCSW
- Facts & Fiction on Self-Injury - Jennifer Muehlenkamp, Ph. D.
- Men & Suicide: How Avoiding Vulnerability Makes Us Vulnerable - Ryan McKelly, Ph.D., LP, HSP
- Youth Suicide Prevention: What Works and What Doesn’t Work - Dr. Morton Silverman, M.D.
- How Substance Use and Suicide get Inter-twined - Ronda Lettner, RN, LMFT, CSAC
- Bullying and Suicide: Real or Media Hype? - Jeff Reiland, MS, CPT-S, CSAC
- After a Suicide, Honoring Loss and Healing Together - Sally Spenser Thomas, Psy. D.
- Impact of Suicide on Family Members: A Panel Discussion
- Historical Trauma and Suicide - Elizabeth Digby-Britten, ME PD
- Treating Suicide: The Collaborative Assessment and Management of Suicide (CAMS) - Jennifer Muehlenkamp, Ph. D.
- Up on the High Wire: Mental Resiliency and Suicide Prevention - Sally Spencer-Thomas, Psy.D.
Sept. 17, 2013
6-7:30 p.m. Awareness Event at Riverside Park (featuring music)